Hair Extension Aftercare
Most natural hair grows 1 inch every month. Proper aftercare allows natural hair to grow while maintaining extensions. Collagen powder and biosel are hair products known to thicken natural hair.
- Hair extensions have a wave motion after washing. Wash hair extensions every 4-6 days. Use a shower cap for showers on non washing days.
- Use sulfate and alcohol-free shampoo and conditioner.
- Use conditioner on length of extensions only.
- Be delicate when washing the hair extensions. Do not tangle the bonds or tapes.
- Towel Dry using a squeezing motion. Do not use a rubbing motion.
- Apply argan oil to damp extensions.
- Do not use a heated blow dryer on the bonds.
- Straighten or leave wavy.
The 5-day washing cycle
- Washing and drying hair extensions can be time consuming. Wet hair extensions feel heavy and pull at the root. Try keeping washing to 4-7days. Keep in mind that natural oil is good for our hair.
- Day 1: Wash and style extensions. Braid or ponytail extensions at night.
- Day 2: Touch up day 1 style. Braid or ponytail extensions at night.
- Day 3: Apply argan oil to length of hair. Add Dove dry shampoo to roots. Style hair. Braid or ponytail extensions at night.
- Day 4: Restart cycle or apply argan oil to length of hair. Add Dove dry shampoo to roots. Style hair on braid or with scrunchy. Braid or ponytail extensions at night. If possible, restart washing cycle on day 5.
Brushing Hair Extensions
- Hold root of hair while brushing. Begin at length of extensions. Use leave in conditioner, argan oil or de tangling spray if necessary.
- Micro link: Loops brushes are available at Sally’s for $5-$10.
- Fusions Loop brushes are available at Sally’s for $5- $10.
- Tape in: Soft bristle brushes are best for tape in extensions
- Use scrunchies instead of hair elastics.
- Apply heat protection spray or argan oil. Section hair into 6 sections: Left front, left back upper, left back lower, right front, right back upper, right back lower. Begin with the lower back sections of hair. Brush section of hair. Apply dove hairspray to lengths. Apply dry shampoo to root if necessary. Straighten or curl section. Repeat with back sections and then sides. Apply hairstyle to final result.
Hair Extension Removal
- Fusion Removal: Divide hair into sections. Slightly heat up the bonds using a blow dryer. Add dissolvent or oil to the bonds. Once the bond is loose, use a pair of plyers to begin breakdown down the bonds. Slide hair extension off hair and discard.
- Tape in Removal: Divide hair into sections. Apply oil or dissolvent to the tape. Carefully open extension sandwiches with fingers. To reinstall tape ins, rinse residue off, dry extension, apply new tape, install 0.5 cm from root.
- Microlink Removal: Divide hair into sections. Removal begins with opening the microlinks with plyers. Once the bead is loose, slide it down the strands of hair while holding the hair closest to the scalp.
- Basic Kit $25: Hair extension brush, remover oil, scrunchy.
- Premium Kit $60: Hair extension brush, argan oil, Dove hairspray, Dove dry shampoo, plyers, scrunchy, bond dissolvent.
- Ultra Kit $80: Hair extension brush, argan oil, Dove hairspray, Dove dry shampoo, plyers, scrunchy, bond dissolvent, shampoo and conditioner
- Wait 48 hours after installment before washing.
- 10% slippage is common within the first month of hair extensions.
- The scalp will be sensitive to hair extensions for the first week. Tape Tylenol before bed for the first couple nights if necessary.
- Brush carefully 3 times a day.
- Extensions can be curled and straightened. Do not dye hair extensions.
- Silver or purple shampoo changes the color of the hair extension quicker than natural hair.
- Heat accelerates damaging natural and hair extensions. Keep blow drying to a minimum (1x/week).
- Braid hair when swimming or working out.
For any other questions or troubleshooting please do not hesitate to contact me😊